vertexlistblog

vertexlist blog is an online extension of vertexList gallery in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. The content is a collective effort of artists and curators working with vertexList. (www.vertexlist.net)

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Sean Higgins interview on Suicidegirls.com

Sean Higgins was interviewed on suicidegirls.com and ultimately confirmed his status of the west-coast art rock-star... He also has to put up with the pink paper-clip next to his picture, but who wouldn't wanna be surrounded by tattooed and pierced, half nude goth girls!

Here is a small excerpt from the interview:

CC:
Which leads to my next question...what do you consider the pieces? i think they're sculptural but I'm curious as to what you'd classify them.

SH:
I think of them as paintings. I came to this process because I used to be a painter. I still think of them that way, I still want to make a 2-D object that hangs on the walls. I don't know, here is another ambiguity in my work as they sort of look like paintings and sort of look like photos and are hidden behind a layer of Plexi...So what are they? I think we are back to the first question...
CC:
Exactly! I think that's what makes them interesting. I mean, on a basic level they're really beautiful to look at but on another level there is serious questioning about place, time - all that stuff you're interested in.
SH:
Yeah, I am interested in showing you a few things to get you started but the interesting part to me (and hopefully to the viewer) is what I am not showing, what is not in the picture.
CC:
So here's my next question - how do you go about picking what landscapes/environments to show?
SH:
That is kind of a tough question.
CC:
haha!

SH:
A lot of times they come to me while traveling. I seem to get a lot of source material when I travel. I work in a very responsive way, a very intuitive way. I do a lot of searching through the internet too. The pieces can start off with some completely random image and the story behind the piece happens along the way. A lot of these pieces start off as something totally different than the finished product but during the hours and hours spent working on the images in Photoshop, something happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home